Growing up too fast....

Monday, January 9, 2012

Loft Beds-- Updated


Mom- here is the girls room finished. The trim wasnt done last time. Holding off a bit on the chalk board wall...making sure they can make a wise decision to keep the chalk where it needs to be:)





I figured it was time to get the girls room looking more like a big girl room. I must say for buying the sheets, pillow and paint at three different stores they matched pretty well. Chris was leery about the light blue. He said it was "bright" I said, "wait till you see the other color" He and Glen spent ALL day Friday making the girls lofts. We were going to do full twin size beds but realized we were being over optimistic seeing how the room is not that big. So..we decided on toddler loft beds. In college my roommate, Simone and I, had loft beds. Of course they were about twice the height but it was so space saving that I figured it would be great in this small of a room.
We built the height based on the storage drawer steps. Worked out pretty good, huh?
My OCD kicked in about 9pm Friday night. I painted till 2am(bed frames had to be painted white. I started stirring about 4am and decided to finish since I had promised the girls that they'd get to sleep their first night in them Saturday night!
Okay, so I have to share my super, duper deal on the bedding. No one makes toddler duvet covers so I figured I'd make them myself. I really don't like to sew. I don't have patience for it but I knew this was going to be the cheaper route.
I bought a flat sheet on clearance at Target for $7.79. I cut it half. It was the PERFECT measurements for the duvet covers. I had an old comforter I was getting ready to toss or give to the Good Will, so I cut that up as well. I sewed the duvet covers, sewed up the comforter and TA-DA! I sewed on the buttons that I had gotten at WalMart. Those little duvet covers cost me a little over $3 bucks. I LOVE A DEAL!!
The reading area/fort underneath the loft has already been put to good use. I'm painting a small chalkboard square on the far right wall and they already have a magnetic board-- should be hours of fun for them!!:) Chris finished the wood boarder around the top tonight, even after a hard days work. They are daddy's girls.
The girls LOVE IT!!! We love seeing them happy.
I told myself if I'd seen this room on Pinterest....I WOULD HAVE PINNED IT!:)
Thanks Hun, for all your hard work and your awesome talent!!

1 comment:

ST said...

looks awesome! you guys did a great job...and on a shoestring budget to boot. bravo!